One of the largest traditional sailing Tall Ships
This impressive Tall Ship was also built as a cargo ship. In 1926 she started on the Tecklenburgwerf, near Bremerhaven. This steel four-masted barrel is the largest traditional sailing ship in the world after the Sedov. Her home port is Kaliningrad.
She came into service as Padua and is the last sailing cargo ship that was built at the time. Together with the Pamir, Passat, Preussen, Pommern and Peking she was part of the Flying P-line from Hamburg. She is the only one of these ships that is still sailing. The ship was mainly used to transport building materials to South America and then took Salpeter on their return journey. The Padua was also used to get grain in Australia. In 1933-1934 the Padua only sailed from Hamburg to South Australia in 67 days, a world record. Until the outbreak of the Second World War, she continued to make long journeys as a freighter.
After the war, the ship was transferred to the Soviet Union on 12 January 1946 as part of reparation payments. She was renamed Kruzenshtern and joined the Russian Navy in 1955 as a training ship. Since 1966 the ship has been owned by the Ministry of Fisheries.
The Kruzenshtern has a length of 114.5 meters, a draft of 6.8 meters and sails with the Russian flag.
Decor of SAIL
SAIL unites the world
Share your favourite moments #SAIL2020
Keep up to date with the latest SAIL news