With her special sails – equipped with the Maltese Cross – she is already recognizable from a distance. She was launched in 1937 in Hamburg, at the well-known yard of Blohm & Voss. She is a sister ship of the USCG Eagle from the USA, from the Mircea from Romania and from Tovar from Russia. After the Second World War, the ship was confiscated by the United States. Sold to Brazil in 1948 and used as a sail training ship until 1960. In that year she was taken out of service and used as a floating base for Brazilian patrol vessels.
At the same time, Portugal was looking for a replacement for their old Sagres, which is now a museum ship in Hamburg. The Portuguese Navy bought the Brazilian ship and renamed it N.R.P. Sagres, with which she became the third ship with that name within this navy. Since that time she is used as a training ship for her Navy and is regularly seen at Sail Manifestations in the world. She also participated several times in STI Races. In 2009 she won the Boston Teapot Trophy, an important prize in the STI events.
Decor of SAIL
SAIL unites the world
Share your favourite moments #SAIL2020
Keep up to date with the latest SAIL news