Biggest, still sailing, traditional sailing ship of the world
This impressive Tall Ship was built as a cargo ship in 1921 at a German shipyard in Kiel as Magdalene Vinnen II. The shipping company F.A. Fins had lost all its ships through the First World War and the subsequent Treaty of Versailles. The Magdalene Vinnen II was part of the new fleet that was then built up again. Between 1921 and 1936 they transported mainly coal to Buenos Aires, Salpeter from Chile to Germany, as well as grain from Australia to Germany. Then she was sold to the Norddeutscher Lloyd and for the first time partly as a sailing training ship used for future officers. The name changed in Kommodore Johnson. After she returned to Bremerhaven on 11 August 1939 she was imposed during the Second World War.
After the war she was transferred to the Soviet Union as a repayment in December 1945 and was given the name Sedov. After being deployed for various Soviet purposes, it was converted in 1981 so that more people could be accommodated. Sports rooms, a small museum and classrooms, which are also still present at the moment. (But unfortunately remain hidden from the eyes of visitors). Since 1991 she is owned by the Technical University of Murmansk. In the summer of 2005 Sedov had a role in making a film about the demise of the four-masted park Pamir. On that occasion the – until then – white hull was painted black. (All ships of the Flying P-line, owner of the Pamir, were in fact black)
The Sedov is the largest still sailing traditional sailing ship in the world.
Decor of SAIL
SAIL unites the world
Share your favourite moments #SAIL2020
Keep up to date with the latest SAIL news