Everything you need to know
Everyone who is enthusiastic and motivated to become part of the biggest free nautical event in the world can register as a volunteer. Please make sure you meet the following conditions.
- You must be at least 17 on August 12, 2020. If you are 17 you will need to get permission from your parents or guardian. Please contact email@example.com.
- Each volunteer must be available for three of the five days of the event, from August 12 to August 16 2020.
- Every volunteer must attend one of the volunteer days (Saturday March 14, 2020 or Saturday March 21, 2020). On these days you will find out all about the SAIL story.
- You must be able to communicate in the Dutch language. English is not required but may be useful.
- You must be physically and mentally capable of carrying out your job to a high standard during SAIL Amsterdam 2020. If you have any doubts about your capabilities, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
We expect to need 20,000 volunteers. If you know someone who has not signed up and might be interested, feel free to share this page.
- Step 1: Register as a volunteer for SAIL Amsterdam 2020
- Step 2: Come to one of the volunteer days (Saturday March 14, 2020 or Saturday March 21, 2020)
- Step 3: You will be allotted a role at SAIL Amsterdam 2020 (May 2020)
- Step 4: Come to the team-building day (June 2020)
- Step 5: Pick up your clothing and any last-minute information (Tuesday August 11, 2020)
- Step 6: Help make SAIL Amsterdam 2020 a success (August 12-16, 2020)
Yes, you can. SAIL unites the world, and that means its volunteers come from all over the globe as well. If you have passport from the European Economic Area (EER) or Switzerland, then you can be a volunteer for SAIL Amsterdam 2020 without any extra paperwork. If you come from another country, you will need a permit to do so. Please contact email@example.com for more information.
The EER is made up of Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Croatia, Cyprus, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxemburg, Malta, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovenia, Slovakia, Spain, Sweden, The Netherlands, UK (England, Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales)
Unfortunately we are unable to organise places for SAIL Amsterdam 2020 volunteers to stay. We understand that it can be difficult to travel from the other side of the country, which is why we ask all our volunteers if they come from (near) Amsterdam and have any beds available. We can then try and match volunteers to possible beds. If you would like to take advantage of this, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. We cannot, however, make any promises.
We can only refund travel expenses for the attending the volunteers days and the team building session. Compensation is based on 19 cents per kilometer or the cost of using public transport. You will be able to fill in an expenses form on the day itself.
First of all, you will be part of the biggest free event in the Netherlands and the biggest nautical event in the world. It would be impossible to realise SAIL without its volunteers. In addition to new experiences and meeting new people, you will also benefit from:
- Volunteer days
- Team-building day
- Unique clothing for the event sponsored by Tommy Hilfiger
- Food and drink during your shift
- Access to the volunteers’ café
- End-of-event party
- A certificate
- An unforgettable experience
Registration remains open until all the volunteer roles are full. We will publish an update when the deadline is nearing.
No, unfortunately not. But if you would like to work with a friend during SAIL Amsterdam 2020 then note this under ‘opmerkingen’ at the end of the registration form, and make sure you both choose the same job preferences and availability dates. We will try to put you on together but we cannot make promises.
Work in progress
SAIL unites the world
Share your favourite moments #SAIL2020
Keep up to date with the latest SAIL news